OUR SEA, OUR IDENTITY
A photographic Competition and Exhibition by the Malta Environment and Planning Authority (MEPA) in collaboration with the Malta Institute of Professional Photography (MIPP) Photography Competition and Outdoor ExhibitionLife BaHAR for N2K is an EU funded project aimed at gathering scientific information on ecologically important habitats present around the Maltese Islands. As part of the education component of this project, MEPA is organising an outdoor street photographic exhibition will be set up in a number of different localities around Malta and Gozospread over two summers (2015 and 2016). The exhibition will present a stimulating range of photos which will offer a better understanding of the diverse sea and marine habitats found within the Maltese archipelago and the roles played by different stakeholders. The photos exhibited will be chosen following a competition for participation. Out of the general entry, 20 photos will be selected and each printed on A0 display material. These will then be exhibited on outdoor panels. 12 photographs may be selected to feature in a calendar promoting this project. Printing, mounting and the setting up of the exhibitions are the responsibility of MEPA, and the entrant does not incur any costs whatsoever. The theme of the photographic competition is ‘Our Sea - Our Identity.’ The organizers are looking at outstanding images that preferably depict the interaction of people on the island of Malta with their marine surroundings. Suitable subjects may include divers, ferry crossings, boats, marine habitats and species native to the Mediterranean, seascapes, fishermen, bathers, beaches etc.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY:
AWARDS: (Only one prize can be won by any single entrant).
The entrant of each of the 20 images chosen for the exhibition will be presented with a
complimentary 30 x 40 cm pvc print.
1. This Competition and Exhibition is open to all residents of Malta & Gozo.
2. There is no entry fee whatsoever
3. All entrants must be over the age of 16 on the closing date of the competition.
4. Participants must have full rights to the entries submitted and fill in and sign the Official
Entry Form which is to be handed in with the image submissions.
5. All MEPA employees and members of this competition’s organising committee are not
eligible for entry to this competition.
6. All photographic entries must be made by the participant with a digital camera. Any
modification of the original image must be made by the participant. Any original image
entered as a composite image must only contain additional images or work produced by the
participant. The final entry images must be handed in to MEPA as high resolution TIFF files
7. By virtue of submitting an entry, the participant certifies the work as his or her own and
permits the Organizers to reproduce or exhibit all or part of the entered material free of
charge for publication or display in the media in relation to MEPA non-commercial uses and
8. Participants personally assume responsibility for any claim arising out of the publication or
exhibition of their entries, as the Organizers assume no liability for any misuse of copyright
and/or data protection and categorically disclaim any liability whatsoever.
9. The copyright of any photographs entered in this competition remains with the entrants at
10. Images utilised in any previous MEPA publications are not eligible for this competition.
11. Each participant may submit a maximum of five entries. All entries must be in full colour.
12. Sealed photographic entries, together with the DVD and the signed Official Registration
form, downloadable from www.lifebahar.org.mt must be handed at the MEPA
Communications Office, St Francis Ravelin, Floriana between 8.00 am and 4.00pm,
weekdays only, up-to and including the 12th December 2014. No entries will be accepted
after this final closing date. Forms will also be available from the same MEPA offices from
the MIPP and from leading photographic dealers.
13. The digital image files must be presented on a DVD in TIFF format, and sized to 85 x120
cms at 300dpi. Quality is of utmost importance due to the final size that the chosen images
will be printed. Images which are found not to be of sufficient quality will be disqualified.
14. No watermarks and /or names are to be inserted in the image files.the fie entries must not
bear any indication that identify the author.
15. Title of Work, Name, Contact Telephone number, Postal and email Address of participant
must appear on the DVD or its cover in BLOCK LETTERS. The file numbers of each entry
must be numbered to agree with the entry form.
16. The Organizers reserve the right to reject any entry prior to judging, giving a specific reason
for such action.
17. The entries will be judged by an independent expert panel of judges selected by the MIPP
and MEPA. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. The
judges will have no information as to whom the images belong to during the whole selection
18. The winners and a number of selected images will be mounted and exhibited at venues
selected by the organizers and may feature in other MEPA publications.
19. In the event that any selected or award winning entry is later found to have violated any of
these conditions, the Organizers reserve the right to take any action they deem fit, including
the withdrawal of the prize/s awarded. In such an event the winning position will be
20. Participation in this Competition and Exhibition signifies acceptance of all the above
21. Any personal details submitted by the entrant will be protected by the organisers as
required by the Data Protection Act. All entrants must ensure that they have all necessary
permissions for their entries.
22. Participants personally assume responsibility for any claim or liability arising out of the
publication or exhibiting of their entries as the Organizers categorically disclaim any
Enquiries/contact: MEPA 2290 20121
Link to MEPA site for downloading forms/rules - – www.lifebahar.org.mt
Competition event page - https://www.facebook.com/lifebahar